All SBPL locations will be closed on Monday, May 27th for Memorial Day.

5/28-5/29: Central's Children's Library will be closed due to construction work.

5/21-7/14: Eastside Library will be closed due to construction work.

Central Library's Book Drops will reopen on June 10th. Please come inside or visit Montecito to return items.


Repair Solutions


Repair notification letters will be accompanied with a Defect Report. To better understand the Defect Report, review our Visual Glossary.

Your Repair Notification Letter will indicate if your Sewer Lateral can be repaired, rehabilitated, or if replacement is necessary. We the recommended you take the following steps to when moving forward:

1. Obtain Multiple Quotes: Contact appropriately-licensed plumbing contractors to get quotes. Every lateral will have different repair needs, so be sure to ask your contractor about alternative repair methods.

2. Review your Contractor's Proposal and Make a Selection: Quotes or proposals should clearly explain work to be done, permits required, who will obtain and pay for permits, how the site will be restored and cleaned-up, and payment terms.

3. Obtain a Permit for the Work from the City through your Contractor: Although some Residential City Initiated SLIP permit fees may be waived, never hire a contractor who wants to complete the work without them.

What to Know Before Speaking to a Plumbing Contractor


An illustration of a pipe underground

Point repairs, or spot repairs, can work when the existing pipe is in good condition but there are only few, distinct repair locations.

If this is the option recommended by the City, your Repair Notification Letter will identify the locations of the repairs. 

Sewer Lateral Connection Replacement

If your connection to the City's main sewer line is defective, your Repair Notification Letter will indicate that your Sewer Lateral Connection should be replaced. Below are effective options that the City has made available to you to replace or repair your connection.

An illustration of an underground pipe being excavated.

What is the repair option?
Property owner's plumber performs other work on the sewer lateral and prepares excavation for a City Contractor to replace the lateral connection

When is it recommended?
When making repairs to the sewer lateral near the connection to the city main or are replacing/rehabilitating the entire Sewer Lateral and the contractor needs an excavation near the connection.

Property owners responsibility?
The property owner selects the plumber who obtains the necessary permits, schedules the Lateral Connection Replacement, excavates, performs the work within the excavated pit, back-fills and restore the excavated surface.

What do the fees cover?
City contractor to replace the Sewer Lateral Connection once it is exposed by your plumber. There may be other permit fees depending on the scope of the work and method your plumber elects

  Cured-in-Place-Pipe (CIPP)

Trenchless rehabilitation called Cured-in-Place-Pipe (CIPP) lining is recommended whenever feasible. This method is an alternative to trenchless pipe bursting or conventional trenching methods to replace Sewer Laterals. The felt-resin liner is typically installed through a clean-out or a small access pit on your property and uses the existing clay or cast iron pipe already in the ground as a host pipe to rehabilitate or renew your sewer lateral. Because the liner does not have any joints, it is a great method to extend the useful life of your existing sewer lateral by improving the structural integrity of your sewer lateral and eliminate problematic maintenance and environmental issues commonly found on sewer laterals, such as roots, infiltration, and exfiltration.

The City does not specifically endorse any private plumbing company. The companies listed below are those who known to the City to install CIPP lining:

If you are contractor will be using CIPP, please ensure they are following our CIPP Installation Guidelines

101 Plumbing Inc.
All-Phase Plumbing, Inc.

(805) 964-1088

B.J. Plumbing

(805) 896-7331 

Drain Masters

(805) 680-5156 / (805) 896-0946 

Express Rooter

(805) 331-4341 / (805) 964-5654

Hydrotek Pipe Service
National Plant Services, Inc.

(925) 262-7366 / (510) 876-5412

Quick Response

(805) 896-2937