A Water Service Commitment Letter (also known as a “Can and Will Serve Letter”) is for customers located outside of City limits, but still served by City water. The County of Santa Barbara will let you know if this letter is required.
Apply for a water service commitment letter via our online application portal Accela Citizen Access. Select the Public Works Tab at the top. When selecting your record type, make sure to select Public Works Water Sewer Service Connection > Application for Water and Sewer Service Commitment.
In Accela Citizen Access, you will need to submit a Can and Will Serve Application and a site plan showing the existing and proposed improvements to the property. If new landscaping is part of the scope of work you’ll also need to submit landscaping and irrigation plans. Questions on how to apply online? Call the Public Works Permit Counter (805) 564-5388 or email PWcounter@SantaBarbaraCA.gov.
Dedicated irrigation meters are for landscape watering only and cannot be used for domestic purposes. Apply for a dedicated irrigation meter via our online application portal Accela Citizen Access:
When selecting your record type, make sure to select Public Works Water Sewer Service Connection > Potable Water Meter Service Work Order.
You will need to fill out and attach the following in Accela Citizen Access:
- Water Service Connection Application - Make sure to complete the "Irrigation Meter" section
- Irrigation Meter Application
- A site plan showing the irrigated areas of the property. Please include the total square footage of irrigated turfgrass area and total square footage of irrigated shrub (non-turf) area on the plan. Note that these square footages can only include the areas that are actually irrigated—it is not the total square footage of the property less the square footage of the house.
For questions on how to apply online, call the Public Works Permit Counter at (805) 564-5388 or email PWcounter@SantaBarbaraCA.gov. Please note that dedicated irrigation meters are billed for water usage based on a site-specific monthly water budget, learn more about how this is calculated here.
If you believe your water meter is oversized for your property, you may apply for a reduction in meter size. Customers are encouraged to seek the advice of a licensed professional to be sure that any reduction in meter size is appropriate for their particular property. Once 12 months have passed after the reduction, a request to change back to a larger size will require payment of the applicable capacity charges.
Apply for a reduction in water meter size via our online application portal Accela Citizen Access. Select the Public Works Tab at the top. When selecting your record type, make sure to select Public Works Water Sewer Service Connection > Reduce Water Meter Size. Fill out a Meter Reduction Application and attach it to your application in Accela Citizen Access.
Questions on how to apply online? Call the Public Works Permit Counter (805) 564-5388 or email PWcounter@SantaBarbaraCA.gov.
The process for installing new water services has changed to require the customer’s contractor to expose the water main and trench for the new water service line before City crews install the new tap, service line, meters, and meter boxes. This will require the customer to apply with a licensed contractor for new/modified water service, as well as traffic control and construction permit for the excavation work. View the full guidelines here.
Agricultural meters are for customers with a bona fide agricultural business, meaning they sell a crop. Customers interested in an agricultural meter will need to do the following:
- Work with the City Planning Division for an Agricultural Use Permit
- Submit “Water Connections Application.” Make sure to complete the “Irrigation Meter” section with the “Irrigation Agriculture” classification selected.
- Submittal of a Declaration of Agricultural Enterprise is required with documents providing proof of a bona fide agricultural operation.
- A site plan showing irrigated area of the crop.