Phone: (805) 564-5316
Fax: (805) 897-1905
735 Anacapa Street, Bottom Floor
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Monday-Thursday, 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Closed alternate Fridays and Holidays
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Action (IDEA)
One City. One Team.
The City of Santa Barbara is a public-service organization inspired and driven by a diverse and thriving workforce. We are proud of our commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity among our employees. Our diversity is our strength! As a leading organization with high impact on our community, we value bringing talented, diverse employees to serve the needs of our citizens.
As outlined in our Organizational Values, at the City “We value the diversity of experience, skill, outlook and style that are brought to City service by each individual”.
The dialogue and work within the area of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity is broad and growing across all sectors of society. The City is engaging in that work, and championing the merits of a respectful, inclusive organization that provides an equitable opportunity to all.
- City Council Resolution Adopting A Citywide Non-Discrimination and Policy #93-134 - Non-discrimination in contracts, leases, purchasing, and contractor’s employment practices
- City Council Meeting Spanish Access – translation of the weekly City Council Meeting Agenda to Spanish language
- Boards and Commissions: Numerous City Boards and Commissions hear topics of access and equity as part of their work with the City. For example, in 1988, the City Council established the Access Committee to assist with “matters pertaining to providing access for the disabled and compliance” with codes regarding accessibility for people with disabilities. GUIDELINES FOR THE CITY OF SANTA BARBARA ADVISORY GROUPS
- Resolution Declaring Racism as a Public Health Crisis and Condemning Police Brutality
- Juneteenth - Commemoration of this important day in the history of the people of United States is a City-Observed Holiday.
- Spanish Language Access Program and Outreach (SLA) – providing quality translation services for important City communications
- Inclusive Library and Recreation Programs and Outreach Initiatives
- Access to Public Facilities, Parks, Lots and other City operated venues
- Visit our Accessibility Resources page for more information
- Employment Practices for Hiring and Organizational Success
- Police Review for equity in impact and treatment
- Non-Discrimination and Harassment Policy
- ADA / Reasonable Accommodation Process
- Anti-Bias Training offered to City employees
- Boards and Commissions Training
- Collaboration on Countywide and Regional DIBE Groups
- “Race and Policing” Training Presented to the Fire and Police Commission on September 23, 2021 By Interim Police Chief Melekian, Lieutenant Shawn Hill, and Human Resources Manager Graciela Reynoso : https://youtu.be/iHkq7WhTT1k
The City is a Learning Organization! In addition to resources listed above, employees will have an opportunity to participate in the creation of a comprehensive program regarding the topics of diversity, in it’s many forms.
The IDEA Initiative is designed to meet the on-going needs and evolution of topics in the areas of diversity, inclusion, belonging and action to ensure a respectful and welcoming work environment.
IDEA Initiative – Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Action is a training and development program rolling out soon to bring together employee input and direction to build organizational excellence in this area.
Popular resources for learning about the topics of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Action:
- Racial Equity Tools: https://www.racialequitytools.org/
- Harvard Implicit Bias Test:
- DEI Book Recommendations from EDUCAUSE:
City of Santa Barbara
The City of Santa Barbara is unique in its environmental, economic, cultural, and social setting. It has a rich past and a bright future. As employees of the City, we will meet the challenges of this dynamic community by basing our thoughts and actions on the following values:
- We value the opportunity to provide services to our community in a manner that is fair, courteous, responsive, and efficient.
- We value the openness of our City government and the participation of our citizens.
- We value the worth and dignity of all individuals and will provide equal opportunities for all.
- We value the diversity of experience, skill, outlook and style that are brought to City service by each individual.
- We value a safe and enjoyable working and living environment for ourselves, local citizens, and visitors.
- We value decisive leadership that is provided by competent, knowledgeable professionals.
- We value candor, honesty, integrity, and accountability as ways of earning the public’s trust.
- We value teamwork, cooperation, enthusiasm, and a supportive environment as a means of achieving well-defined and agreed upon objectives.
- We value creativity and innovation, and we support those who accept the challenge and take the risk of such action.
- We value the productivity and achievement of our employees and are committed to the creation of an environment for their personal growth and satisfaction.