Triennial Construction Code Adoption Survey
The City of Santa Barbara’s Building & Safety Division is seeking your input with the Triennial Construction Code Adoption process. Every three years, the State amends and adopts updates to the International Construction Codes. The City in turn adopts the State’s updates and any local amendments by ordinance. These then become the governing construction codes for Santa Barbara. The provisions of the California Construction Code do not limit the authority of a local municipality to establish more restrictive and reasonably necessary differences to the State Construction Code. Local municipalities must file findings for any amendment, addition, or deletion and those must be based on local climatic, topographical, or geological conditions.
From August 24 thru August 31, 2022, the City’s Building & Safety Division will open a brief survey soliciting recommendations.
Take the Survey!
After the survey period closes, a public workshop will be held to focus on key themes and to discuss analyses received in support of recommendations. There will be additional opportunities for public comment at the following hearings on the schedule:
- September 2, 2022, 5:00 p.m. – Submit supporting code analyses by this date
- September 7, 2022: Public Workshop (online)
- October 11, 2022: Ordinance Committee meeting
- November 8, 2022: City Council (Ordinance introduction)
- November 15, 2022: City Council (Ordinance adoption)
- January 1, 2023: New Code takes effect
Send questions to: Marck Aguilar, Project Planner at MAguilar@SantaBarbaraCA.gov