Suspects In Church Children’s Center Burglaries Arrested - Robbery Case Solved in Conjunction
Between January 1 – 5th, 2022, Santa Barbara Police received several reports from a local church and children’s center regarding a string of burglaries that occurred in the area of 2100 State Street. SBPD Detectives started investigating the case and the public’s assistance was requested in identifying the two suspects involved in the burglaries. Six burglaries were reported over a five-day period.
Shortly after the request to the community, Detectives received several tips about the identity of the suspects. This information led to the arrest of the two suspects involved; Carla Rocha, a 23-year-old Santa Barbara resident, and Alex Francisco, a 19-year-old Ventura resident.
Rocha was located and arrested in the 100 West block of Cabrillo Blvd. on January 17, 2022. The next day, on January 18, 2022, Francisco turned himself in at the Santa Barbara Police Department.
During a separate incident, on December 28, 2021, Officers investigated a robbery that occurred at a local smoke shop in the 1900 block of De La Vina Street. Three suspects and a get-away driver committed a robbery at gunpoint, taking the cash register.
Detectives were actively working on this investigation and developed information that led them to believe Francisco was involved in the robbery at 1900 De La Vina Street. Detectives also learned the identities of three other suspects. Search and arrest warrants were authorized by a Superior Court Judge for the arrest of all suspects involved in the robbery.
On January 20, 2022, Detectives arrested suspect Vicente Herrera-Chavez, a 42-year-old Santa Barbara resident during a traffic stop off Hwy 101 and Patterson Ave (Goleta). Located in Herrera-Chavez’s vehicle was a loaded handgun as well as narcotics.
That same day, Detectives located suspect, Jose Arnulfo Munoz, a 25-year-old Santa Barbara resident in the 1600 block of Bath Street. Munoz was placed under arrest for his suspected involvement in the robbery. He had narcotics and paraphernalia on him at the time of his arrest.
Later in the day Detectives located the third suspect in the 1st block of Santa Felicia Dr., City of Goleta. Marcos Jorge Pecero-Martinez, a 37-year-old Goleta resident, was also placed under arrest for the warrant related to the robbery.
Detectives executed search warrants at a residence in the 300 block of West Valerio Street and located and seized evidence related to the robbery.
All arrestees were transported and booked in the Santa Barbara County Jail. The following charges for each individual are listed below:
- Carla Rocha: Stemming from the Church and Child Center investigation, Felony Burglary (multiple counts), Burglary During a State of Emergency (felony), and Conspiracy (felony). Bail: $50,000.
- Alex Francisco: Stemming from the Church and Child Center investigation, Felony Burglary (multiple counts), Burglary During a State of Emergency (felony), and Conspiracy (felony).
Stemming from the robbery, Robbery (felony), Being Armed with a Firearm while Committing a Felony (felony), and Conspiracy (felony). Bail: $200,000.
- Vicente Herrera-Chavez: Robbery (felony), Being Armed with a Firearm while Committing a Felony (felony), Conspiracy (felony), Felon in Possession of a Firearm (felony), Addict in Possession of a Firearm (felony), Possession of Narcotics while armed with a Firearm (felony), Possession of Narcotics (misdemeanor), and Driving on a Suspended License (misdemeanor). Bail: $200,000.
- Jose Arnulfo Munoz: Robbery (felony), Being Armed with a Firearm while Committing a Felony (felony), Conspiracy (felony), Possession of Narcotics (misdemeanor), Possession of Narcotic Paraphernalia (misdemeanor), and an unrelated warrant. Bail: $200,000.
- Marcos Jorge Pecero-Martinez: Robbery (felony), Being Armed with a Firearm while Committing a Felony (felony), Conspiracy (felony), and several unrelated warrants. Bail: $200,000.
The Santa Barbara Police Department would like to thank the public as well as the media for their assistance in apprehending these suspects.