On September 29, 2020, the Santa Barbara City Council voted to change the name of Indio Muerto Street, which means, “Dead Indian” to Hutash Street, a Chumash term for Earth Mother.
The name change took effect on December 14, 2020.
- Your street number will not change, only the street name. For example, 123 Indio Muerto Street will become 123 Hutash Street.
- The Post Office will deliver mail addressed to both Indio Muerto Street and Hutash Street for one (1) year after the name change.
- If you live or own a business on Indio Muerto Street, you will need to update your address within your mail network. Here are some resources to help you make the transition to Hutash Street.
- Bilingual Informational Video on Updating Your Address
- Change of Address Resources