Miss Sara Plummer established the City's first library on State Street in 1870. After Miss Plummer married, the library was sold to the Odd Fellows who moved it to their lodge at State and Haley Streets. The library finally became public and free when the Odd Fellows donated their collection of about 2,000 volumes to the City after the enactment of the California Municipal Library Law by the State Legislature in 1880.
In 1882, the City Council established, by ordinance, the first Library Board of Trustees. When the 1967 City Charter was adopted, the duties of the Board were expanded and its name changed to the Library Board.
- Make recommendations to the City Council concerning the operation and conduct of the City library facilities for which the City is responsible.
- Recommend to the City Council rules, regulations and by-laws for the administration and protection of the facilities.
- Recommend to the City Council the duties and qualifications of the Library Director.
- Recommend policies concerning acquisition, disposition, availability, and use of publications and other property.
- Consider, with the Library Director, the annual Library budget and make recommendations to the City Council and City Administrator.
- Report to the City Council, within 60 days after the close of the fiscal year, on the work, accomplishments, and conditions of the libraries during the preceding fiscal year.
Must be qualified electors of the City
The Board meets every second Thursday of the month at 12:00 p.m. in the Faulkner Gallery, 40 E. Anapamu St. unless otherwise indicated on the Agenda.
Approximately 3 hours per month for meetings and related activities.
Financial Disclosure Requirement
City Charter Sections 800 - 805, and 807; Municipal Code Section 2.08.020.E; Resolution No. 95-158