Sidebar Widgets


Promenade and Parklets
(805) 560-7520 Tel.

Private Property Expansion
(805) 897-1933 Tel. 


Temporary Outdoor Business Areas


Parklets and Private Property

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City Council adopted ordinances to allow temporary outdoor business operations. The current ordinance, known as the Economic Recovery Extension and Transition Ordinance (ERETO), temporarily suspends Municipal Code regulations in order to allow outdoor dining and outdoor business uses in the public right of way or on private property.



The Economic Recovery Extension and Transition Ordinance is available at this link: click here.

The ERETO has specific requirements for continued outdoor business operation, including establishment of a 20-foot emergency access lane on the State Street Promenade.  The ERETO also relaxes certain provisions for issuance of licenses for businesses desiring to provide outdoor dining on sidewalks. 


The ERETO will remain in effect until December 31, 2023.


All locations within the City of Santa Barbara are included in the Ordinance. However, certain sections of the City (Central Business District, Funk Zone and Coast Village Road) are allowed to have extended operating hours of the outdoor dining uses until 12:30 a.m.

This webpage provides design guidelines and directions for establishing temporary outdoor dining and other business areas in the various locations that are adjacent to foodservice businesses, such as on-street parking spaces, on the portion of closed State Street and West Victoria Street, as well as on private property.  

Expand Your Business Outdoors:

Adhere to the guidelines for the following outdoor expansions, which reference outdoor dining but can be followed for other types of business uses: 

Outdoor Business Facility Licensing:

Foodservice Businesses Seeking Alcohol License for Newly Established Outdoor Dining Areas

The City has established a dedicated email address or telephone number to respond to foodservice business inquiries at or (805) 560-7520.

Outdoor Dining Areas Design Guidelines and Approvals

  • Any foodservice business with an Alcoholic Beverage Control License wishing to expand their Planned License Diagram into the public space
  • ALSO, any public-facing retail alcohol establishment that can document financial relationship with a bona fide eating establishment or meal service vendor
  • While the State maintains your privilege to sell alcohol – The City governs the business practices in which you serve alcohol
  • Foodservice businesses seeking to serve alcohol in newly established outdoor dining areas must apply for and obtain a temporary catering ABC license. To apply for a temporary catering ABC license follow the following steps.

1. Go to website: ABC.CA.GOV
2. Scroll down to “COVID-19 Temporary Catering Authorization Application
3. Hover over the words with your mouse and click on the link
4. STOP – save the application to your computer so you are not filling the application on the browser 
5. Also, Complete ABC Form 253, the form can be accessed at this link or can be located found at

If a hospitality establishment such as a wine tasting room or brewery is seeking to have an outdoor dining area in which they desire to have alcohol service but does not normally provide meal service as part of their operation must have a contractual relationship with a third party meal service vendor.

If you are entering into an agreement with another person/entity for meal service, you must also submit a copy of the agreement or contract which establishes the details of this business relationship. The State of California ABC Office is currently closed so the license application must be mailed to their office at:

1000 South Hill Road, Suite 310
Ventura, CA 93003
Phone is (805) 289-0100
Email is